What is the best way to have healthy and clean skin? This is the question that haunted me all the way through my dead-skinned teenage years.
If I knew then what I know now about skin, body scrubs and moisturisers, things would be different. Unfortunately, the internet was unknown in those olden days. So information regarding exfoliation was not as easy to come by. I was left to ask every beauty therapist I could come by in shopping centres. And even then, they gave me no definitive answer that I could use. Without spending a fortune on skin care stuff.
When one is going through the early stages of teenage years, their hormones are running around their blood and skin like crazy. Coupled with stress, this presents the perfect time for pimples to appear.
Nothing seemed to work for me. Topex, no result. Medicated soaps only made my skin dry. I did get some relief from Clinique skincare, but after a while, Clinique proved to be very expensive for a 15-year-old.
So, the hunt went on. I got so desperate I even visited my local dermatologist and asked him to put me on the dreaded “Roacutaine”.
This drug was dreadful. It goes through 27 layers of skin, dries you out, and you’ve got to have a blood test every month to check cholesterol. Doctors are very cautious to prescribe this drug for females, because of the deformities it causes in the unborn baby. It means often dry/ inflamed eyes. Aches and pains. Nose bleeds. https://www.google.com/search?q=roacutain+drug&rlz=1C1ONGR_en-GBAU943AU943&oq=roacutain+drug&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13l9.6623j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#cobssid=s It was more trouble than it was worth. Please don’t go there.
This is what lead me to develop my own brand of skincare.
All I had to do was follow a few simple steps. A few simple steps that I could have followed then as anyone could follow now.
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you find water boring by itself, try a squeeze of lemon/orange juice with it. If you don’t like this, try some herbal tea. I recommend peppermint tea.
- Use a gentle soap to wash your face at least once a day.
- Use a gentle scrub. Natural stuff being best.
- Use moisturiser
- Use a sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Don’t pop your pimples! This will only spread the infection and leave scars.
- RELAX!! Half of my problem was that when I was a teen I was way too stressed about what was going on in my own private life. I was too stressed about what other people thought. Stressing gets you nowhere! If you find it hard to relax, invest in some meditation classes. And for goodness sake, don’t worry about what other people think! I wish someone had said this to me.
By following these simple steps, within 3 months, we at Graceful Lilly, are sure you’ll start to see a dramatic improvement in your skin. Naturally.